Green Point Lighthouse at Clansthal is situated between Scottburgh and Umkomaas. It is made of cast iron and is painted in red and white striped bands.
The lighthouse was built in 1905 and is a National Monument. In 1961 it was fully automated which means there is no need for a lighthouse keeper.
Green Point Lighthouse warns ships of the Aliwal Shoal which is 5 kms away. The Shoal was named after the the ship Aliwal which sunk in the area.
“Lighthouses don’t fire cannons to call attention to their shining – they just shine.”
Dwight L. Moody